Tuesday, May 1, 2018

100% painted Challenge - Organizing the Collection

Hi All,

Upon some reflection and the realization that I was starting to acquire multiples of the same model, I decided to try and sort out my collection and tally what I had and what I had painted.

I got the idea from Anthony at the Lead Collector in his post here.

After my last post Anthony told me that he got the idea from You Magnificent Bastards. The link to the label of 100% painted Challenge is here. I only watched the first two videos to get an idea of what he was on about. Mainly I wanted to see what his spread sheet looked like.


Here is his. Part of his plan was to shift his percentages by selling off some of his stuff and commissioning others to be painted. It appears he also just did a strait model count, no "this counts as two" accounting.


My rough start to a spread sheet. My intent is to not only catalog painted but also models and manufacturer. Not sure if I'll bother to update with codes and sculptor information, though that would be nice. I don't want to get so bogged down in minutia that I completely stall.

The idea right now is to make a sheet for each genre and then break out by Manufacturer. So far I'm starting with Sci Fi themed stuff as it is a much newer and smaller part of my total collection. I haven't sexed up the sheet with colors and formatting yet. That will come later. I'm using Open Office Calc because I refuse to pay Microsoft extra for a suite of programs. I'm still stuck in the mindset when all that shit was bundled with your computer and it pisses me off to have to buy it separately.

That is all.

15 comments:

  1. Hurrah for data! On the other hand, now you can see those lower % taunting you. May be motivating, or it may not be. Probably depends on the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Lasgunpacker. It can be motivating or debilitating depending on the day.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the shout out. I also just use a straight model count and update the spreadsheet soon after painting models. Makes me feel good :) Seeing the (un)painted percentage is sometimes depressing, but helps me to avoid a lot of 'impulse' purchases

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Anthony. I think actually knowing what I have and what is actually painted will curb my impulse buying.

      Delete
  3. I tried that a couple of years ago. It got way too tedious (and depressing). I hope you have better luck than I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew, it may prove both those things for me as well, but I have to try.

      Delete
  4. I did that with my Comics collection, and happy I did.

    But no way I'm embarking on such a process with my miniatures! Would take me ages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iannick, I've avoided it for awhile. Now's the time to try

      Delete
  5. I have some much unpainted stuff it would take me the term of my natural life just to catalog it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Millsy, that's one reason I started with the Sci Fi stuff. It's the smaller subset of the collection and conceivably doable without a major disruption to actual hobby time.

      Delete
  6. I think it’s a great idea, especially if you are indeed buying the same models twice. This will probably lead to the shedding of some of the lead pile as some models are destined never to be painted.

    Good luck with this project. I’ll follow with interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stew, I hope it will help me focus to paint stuff. I'm not sure if I'm ready to admit that I will never paint certain models.

      Delete
  7. Very interesting...but I do fear that it would become a time suck for me rather than actually painting anything. If I were to do this I would probably break mine down by units and look at the percentage of each unit that is painted etc...at least for fantasy collections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Blue. Yes one has to be careful that the cataloging doesn't eat into too much hobby time. I'm trying to start with the smaller part of my collection and do it in bits and pieces.

      Delete
  8. Great idea. I need to put the same in place :)

    ReplyDelete